I received the perfect finishing touch for the Empire Chest in Rembrandt Red – gorgeous Diamond Cut Acrylic Knobs from D.Lawless Hardware! They set the piece off perfectly and I am ready to share the Empire Chest Before and After!
Remember the before?
The veneer was peeling and chipped off in places. I used wood putty to fill in the gaps and sanded and smoothed it out. The process is simple – fill with putty, sand and repeat until you get a smooth finish to paint. The veneer on the top of the piece was peeling back and for that, I used a strong carpenters glue and a vice to stick it back down. I then added wood putty into any gaps and smoothed it out with sandpaper prior to painting. After the piece was prepped, I applied this gorgeous red!
Here is the after!
I used General Finishes new chalk style paint in Rembrandt Red and their Flat Out Flat Topcoat to seal the piece. It was lightly distressed to give it charm and interest. Not too much distressing on this one – just the edges.
I am in love with this one! That red is such a gorgeous, deep hue!
Yesterday began a new series on the blog, A Brooklyn Carriage House where we follow along as my sister and her family take on the major renovations of a nineteenth century carriage house in Brooklyn. All of your comments yesterday were so wonderful! I am glad we are all looking forward to watching this huge transformation!